The Shiga area was connected to the Zenkoji-road and Ezo-road in the Edo era, and three inn towns (Hofukuji-juku, Kariyabara-juku and Aida-juku) were located there. The Hofukuji-juku in particular was the route for the Matsumoto clan’s castle lords to travel to Edo to work in the capital, and was the largest of the Matsumoto clan as a transportation hub.
The Shiga area had a rare background as a territory under the direct control of the Ise Shrine in the Middle Ages and under the direct control of the shogunate in the era of the Edo period, and formed a unique cultural zone.
Although many temples in the Matsumoto domain were destroyed due to the abolition of Buddhism at the beginning of the Meiji era, the Shigat area was not affected because it was under the direct control of the shogunate, and still retains many temples and shrines from the Middle Ages. In addition, the old inn town still retains the atmosphere of those days, and is attracting attention as a historical tourist resource.
Hofukuji Road” was once a route for the lords of the Matsumoto clan to cross the Hofukuji Pass from Matsumoto, pass through Ueda and go to Edo. It was also known as the “Edo Road”. It was also the distribution hub for the annual rice tribute to be transported to Edo, and is said to have been one of the largest in the clan. The primary residence of the family, the “Ozawa” family, had a lot of vinyl and were proud of their prosperity. The rice was stored in many warehouses, and it is believed that “the price of the rice depends on when the warehouse of the Ozawa family opens”, indicating the huge impact it had on the local economy at the time.
The Honjin Ozawa family house is located in the middle of the former Hofukuji-juku on the Edo road, and was used by the lords to rest on their way to and from Edo. The original building burned down in a house fire in 1908, but it was restored to its original state in 1913, and is the current building. According to the records from Tensho 11 (1583), the Ozawa family are the descendants of Nuidonosuke Ozawa who received the house from Ogasawara who were ruling the Matsumoto area. The family crest is the same as Ogasawara’s “sankaibishi”.
The research is being conducted with the cooperation of Shinshu University and Matsumoto City to clarify the historical and cultural value of the four existing storehouses, and is aiming for registration as a cultural property.